Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Thursday Recipe - Bacon Bread

I should learn to stay out of thrift stores. I found another cookbook–Better Homes & Gardens Homemade Bread Cookbook, copyright 1973. I had a version of this one that disappeared years ago. The recipes were tasty and such a wide variety that I was thrilled to find another copy.

Here's a recipe that caught my eye. It has BACON, and a very short list of ingredients. I'm getting the bacon out and making this bread this weekend. Imagine toast with the bacon cooked right in... *wipe drool off my chin*

Bacon Bread

3 1/2 to 3 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 T dry yeast (or 1 package)
10 slices bacon
1 1/4 c. milk
1 T. sugar
1 t. salt

Combine 1 c. of the flour with the yeast. Set aside. Cook bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels reserving 2 T. of the bacon grease. Finely crumble bacon and set aside. Heat milk, bacon grease, sugar, and salt until warm (115-120°, a very warm bathtub temp), stirring constantly. Add to flour/yeast mixture. Beat for 5 minutes by hand, or 3 with a mixer. Make sure it's a sturdy stand mixture. I've stripped gears on more than one mixer trying to make bread.

Add bacon and enough of the flour to make a soft dough. Mix this in by hand! The dough should be slightly sticky. Knead about 8-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. The longer you mix it, the chewier the bread will be. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down. This is just what is sounds like. Punch that dough to deflate it, fold in the sides and squish it down into the bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Shape into a loaf and place in a greased loaf pan. Cover and let it rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes, cool on a wire rack. Makes one large loaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.