Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, November 29, 2010

Why Nanowrimo?

For any of you who haven't heard, November is NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Thousands of people sign up for the competition. This is really about competing against anyone else. The goal of NaNo is to write a 50k word novel during November.

A writer posted an article (wish I could find the article and link it, but it's lost in my browser history somewhere) declaring that NaNoWriMo was a terrible waste of everyone's time. All those amateur writers attempting to write absolute drivel should just not bother. Agents and editors cringe in anticipation of the flood of horrible manuscripts about to be submitted. NaNo should be a NoNo.

I say, what's the harm? I'm all for NaNo. Anything that encourages people to reach higher, to try something new, to be creative, is a good thing. So what if 99.99% of what's written is crap? It's the process of creating it that matters. If only "professional authors" were allowed to write novels, we would very quickly run out of stories to read.

What if we told all those people taking painting or drawing classes that only "professional artists" should create pictures or paintings? Where do you think these professionals come from in the first place? Everyone started somewhere. I'm sure Michaelangelo's first drawings were absolute crap. The point is that he tried it, liked it, and stuck with it. The rest of us benefit from encouraging creativity.

I'm not saying that all those aspiring writers participating in NaNo will become creative geniuses. Most of them won't ever be published. And that's just fine. For those who attempt NaNo, it's an eye-opener to how difficult the whole process of writing a book can be. Those who finish have a sense of accomplishment.

This is only my second year doing NaNo. Last year, I was derailed by a book release. Yes, I'm already published. Guess what? It doesn't matter. NaNo this year gave me the push I needed to get writing novels again. I needed something to get my story moving, to give me enough momentum to finish it.

As for all that crap being produced under such a rushed deadline, so what? There is a freedom to the writing that happens when you don't worry about editing and making it perfect. Too many writers stop after a few chapters, realize what they've written is crap, and go back to edit. The story rarely gets beyond chapter three. NaNo pushes you to just keep going. You can go back to fix it later. That's what editing is all about. For November, just get that story written.

Any honest author will also tell you that the first few manuscripts they finished were awful. Writing is learned by doing. You can learn techniques and skills in classes, true, but the only way to really learn to craft a good story is by doing it. So write one for NaNo, shove it in a drawer, write another one next year. Each draft will improve.

As for that novel release of mine, Nexus Point is my first book in print. It was #18 in my draft pile.

I salute all of you that attempted NaNo this year. It's a worthy goal to write 50k in one month, even if no one but you ever reads it. You've reached outside your normal life to try to create something. That is a goal worth applauding, whether you achieved it or not.

For those who did write 50k, WOOT! Now go write more...

14 comments:

  1. It's a great way to get a first draft on paper to finish later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That writer, badmouthing Nano, sounds like something Nestor Maronski would have said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for NaNo! Congrats on doing it! I was busy revising this year for a deadline, so I did sort of a NaNoRevMo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job doing Nano! I don't know that I would ever try it. That method just doesn't work well for me, but I agree that no one should be discouraged from trying it. I know lots of people who have found their love and their drive from trying NaNoWriMo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rie - I agree, Nano is great for getting that first draft on paper.

    Shallee & Angie - thanks! It worked for me this year, mostly. I'm still 9k short of the goal, but the story is well on its way and I'm happy with what I've done. I hope your revision works out, Shallee. Some days I'd rather revise than write, other days it's the other way round.

    Joel - we'll talk about Nestor later. Meet me in discussion 777. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think learning to write a first draft faster is a skill we need to learn - teaches us to give up the perfection and save it for revision where it belongs. :)

    Great going on your NaNo achievement. Hoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My daughter has done this for the past couple or three years and loves it! I think it's great for those who aspire...and even for those who just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a great program. I'm all for anything that gets people creating and not just consuming. Everyone needs a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree -- I think it's a fantastic program. Personally, I think that any time we encourage creativity, that's beneficial. Yeah, it might not be "good" but the sense of finishing something that massive is pretty awesome. My 12 year old has done it for the past 2 years and has met her goal both times (15K when she was 11 and 30K this year).

    Here from Stumble Tumble Tuesday. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Alise. That's great your daughter has done it when she's so young. My daughter dragged me into it last year. I signed up on my own this year. I'm very glad I did. It's a great motivator.

    I liked your blog post about friendship, too. Most of my friends are guys, it's nice to find someone else with that problem. If you want to call it a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stumble!

    I'm doing NaNo this year too. Some people are just pesimists. You raise some great points here. I'm reading Stephen King's memoirs and he talks about just sitting down and writing and how often when he thought he was writing garbage, later when he looked at it he found some treasures - treasures that needed editing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Editing is a completely different topic. Rough drafts are just that - rough. It's funny you mention Steven King saying he wrote garbage that wasn't garbage when he looked later. I've had that happen with more than one of my books. I'll write a scene because it had to be written and tell myself, I'll fix it later. I couldn't find the scene later. It was better than I thought.

    Thanks for stumbling by, Kim. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for joining the Stumble Tumble Tuesday! I've stumbled your post :)

    Have a great day!
    Shopper Gal
    http://www.shoppergal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by. I hope you found at least a little lift for your day.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.