Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Cucumber Mint Relish/Salad

Mint, radishes, and cucumber in a salad is apparently a thing. I had no clue. I had a cucumber that needed used so I went surfing and came across recipes for this salad that sounded good. I did mix it up and change it around because that's what I do. The end result was tasty—cool and refreshing with fish, rice, or on its own.

It's kind of a mild pickle relish and kind of a salad. Serve in small portions because it can be strong.

This is based off a traditional middle-eastern salad. The flavors are a bit different, so make a small batch first and see if you like it, or just go easy on the mint. It also gets stronger overnight in the fridge. I used spearmint from my yard. It was a bit too strong so next time I make this, I'm going to use a milder mint, either the sweet mint or the pineapple mint I planted. I still need to find apple mint to plant. I loved it in my yard before. It has fuzzy leaves and a very mild flavor. I'll have to do a post on different types of mint.

On to the recipe!

Cucumber Mint Relish/Salad

2 T. finely diced sweet onion or red onion
1 T. rice wine vinegar (go with any, but keep it white and very mild like champagne or white wine vinegar)
1 cucumber, chopped into small bits, about 2 c.
1 bunch of radishes, about 8, chopped into small bits to make about 2/3 c.
1 t. finely chopped mint leaves
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper

Put the onion in a bowl. Pour in the vinegar. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. This helps make the onion milder.

Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir gently to mix. Let sit for about 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.