Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thursday Recipe - Jam Crumble Bars

My mom bought a microwave way back in 1979. It came with a cookbook that has since disappeared. Most of it wasn't that great, but it had one cookie bar recipe that was fantastic. It was an oatmeal bar, no flour or wheat, with a jam filling. They baked up soft and chewy and were perfect for using up homemade jam that didn't set up right. I loved it with my Tutti Frutti Jam. I had a copy of the recipe scribbled on a torn piece of graph paper, but it has also disappeared. Darn recipe eating gremlins have struck again!

I keep looking for the recipe and keep falling short. This version is adapted from one in an old Betty Crocker cookbook (or Betty Crapper Crockbook as it's called at my house, I still don't know why). It comes fairly close, but it still uses wheat flour. I'll have to keep experimenting. I made these with some very runny spiced pear jam. They turned out wonderful, soft and sticky and not too sweet. They're also fast to throw together.

(I'm pretty sure my version of Betty Crocker is this one, but since mine is missing the covers, it's hard to tell.)

Jam Crumble Bars

1/3 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. white flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 1/2 c. quick-cooking oats
1 c. jam

Heat oven to 375°. Mix butter, sugar, salt and baking soda. Mix in flours and oats. It will be crumbly. Grease a 9x13 pan (I just spray it with the spray stuff). Dump about 2/3 of the crumb mixture into the pan. Spread out and pat smooth. Don't worry about squishing it down or making it firm. Spoon the jam over the crumb stuff in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining crumb mixture over the top of the jam.

Bake 25 - 30 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes, then slice into bars. These are great for a quick breakfast or just any time you want something sweet that isn't going to spike your blood sugar too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.