Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, April 8, 2019

Book Review - The War of Art

The War of Art, Steven Pressfield

This is a short, succinct book about recognizing and feeding your inner creativity. Sort of.

I recognized a lot of truth as I read this book, but I also wasn't quite sold on all of his ideas. It's a good kick-in-the-pants, though, if you need it to get you out of a rut and working again.

Pressfield spends a lot of time explaining Resistance. The way he defines it, resistance is anything that stops you from doing what you really want to do. It's internal, sometimes expressed as external forces. It's those hours of surfing online instead of writing. Or watching tv and movies. Or playing games. Or cooking. Or cleaning. Or spending time with your family. This is where I don't agree. Writing is NOT my top priority, obviously. Family and my personal health come first. And sometimes laundry and errands and all the rest of the stuff that is on my plate. But, he does make a good point that you are unhappy if you push your creative outlets too far down your to-do list.

If you want to be a professional, at least in attitude and output, you have to make it your full-time job and treat it as such.

It was a good read. Now to put some of his advice into action.

Four stars
PG-13 for some strong language

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.