Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, April 22, 2019

Book Review - The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
Alexander McCall Smith

First off, don't expect this book to be a mystery even though that's how it's billed. Yes, there is a mystery or two buried in the story, but it's mostly about the characters and the relationships. It's not a thriller, by any means. It's a slow, meandering, circle-within-a-circle type of story.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting to. It was a book I picked up cheap at the thrift store. I'd heard good things about it so I decided to give it a try. I'm very glad I did.

This isn't my usual type of book. It's about Mma. Ramotswe, a traditionally-built lady of African origin who decides to open a private investigator office in Gabarone, capital of Botswana. She doesn't want to handle big cases or criminal cases, just the small everyday problems of ordinary people, the kind of problems that police are too busy or too important to deal with.

So if you pick this up, be prepared for a different kind of storytelling. One that focuses on the people, on the countryside, on thoughts about life and family and love.

I enjoyed it so much I'm now on book ten of the series...

Five stars for a gentle, fun read with characters I actually like
G - no language or innuendo or anything objectionable

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.