Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Thursday Recipe - Butterscotch Fudge

Fudge is my unicorn - that elusive, unobtainable thing that I desire. I can buy fudge, true. We have several local places that make delectable fudge. But there is something very satisfying about pulling a pan of fresh fudge from the fridge, then eating it.

I have a very hard time making fudge. It just never turns out right. This recipe worked for me, though. It's based off a recipe in the Taste of Home website/magazine. (Good recipes there, check it out. I used to subscribe but they have gotten too commercialized.) The original called for evaporated milk, something I just never buy. But I do have powdered milk. I got creative. It was extremely tasty. And it was FUDGE!!! Now to figure out how to make it chocolate and still turn out. (Update: chocolate chips don't work in this recipe. It's tasty, but it isn't fudge. Stick with butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips.)

Butterscotch Fudge

1/2 c. warm water
1/3 c. instant powdered milk
2 T. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. salt
2 c. miniature marshmallows
1 10-12 oz. package butterscotch chips

Butter or spray a 8-inch cake pan or pie pan. Set aside.

Mix the water and powdered milk in a 2 quart saucepan. Stir until completely mixed. It will be thick. Add the butter, sugar, and salt. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until it boils. Boil and stir for 5 full minutes. Remove from heat. You're basically making sweetened condensed milk.

Add marshmallows and butterscotch chips. Stir until marshmallows and chips are melted and the mixture is smooth. Pour into the prepared pan. Spread carefully, just to even it out. Refrigerate for 2-4 hours until firm. Cut and devour. Share if you want.

Optional items:
Chopped nuts, if you like that kind of thing
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. maple flavoring (the original recipe called for this but since I never have any, I didn't put it in)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.