Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, July 22, 2013

Author Interview - Michelle Murrain

Please welcome Michelle Murrain to The Far Edge of Normal! Michelle Murrain is a science fiction writer who has published seven novels. Her novels are largely hard science fiction, but incorporate social, political, and spiritual topics. She lives in Northern California.

Author Website: http://murrain.net/books
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MichelleMurrain
Twitter: @pearlbear


Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?
I am primarily a hard science fiction writer, and enjoy writing novels that incorporate lots of social commentary, and explore all of the varied ways to live human (and not human) lives. One of my favorite novels is called “The Right Asteroid” which takes place about a hundred or so years from now, when there is asteroid mining, and colonies on Mars and other planets. It's a story of first contact, as well as of political intrigue, and personal struggle.

My other favorite novel is called “The Expedition” which is a science fiction novel set in the 19th century. Really. It's fun.

I'll be publishing a new novel, called “Friends with Wings.” It is about a woman who is stranded on a far away planet, and meets intelligent winged beings, and lives with them.

What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?
I mostly read to relax. Or sit by a river, or in a forest. I am a geek by nature, so I like to play with technology – building things, playing games. I don't really watch TV (I don't have one,) but I have, like many, been enthralled by “Game of Thrones.”

What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?
For women SF/F writers, I'd suggest Broad Universe, which is designed to promote women in SF/F. I'd also never underestimate the value of local writer's groups, whether it be for critique, or just support.

As for advice – follow what makes you happy. I've never been one to write what I thought other people wanted to read – I write what I want to write, and what I'd want to read. It might mean that I have a smaller audience, but it makes me much happier than writing what I thought the market wanted.

What writers inspired you to become an author?
There weren't any that specifically inspired me to become an author, but there are many that inspire me as an author. Ursula LeGuin, Octavia Butler, Maria Doria Russel, Sherri Tepper, and Guy Gavriel Kay all come to mind.

Great choices. If you could travel to any time in history, when would you visit?
I am fascinated by the 19th century, and if I could go disguised as a white man, I would visit. Otherwise the visit would be rather unpleasant.

I'd imagine it could be unpleasant for you. An unfortunate fact of history. If you could have dinner with any of your characters, which ones would you choose? What food would you serve?
I'd love to have dinner with the main protagonist of my novel, “The Expedition” - a human named Jam'elo who wasn't raised on Earth. I'd serve him my goat cheese lasagna.

If you could travel anywhere, on earth or off, where would you go?
Mars.

What color would you wear if you had only one choice?
Dark Blue.

Describe your dream writing spot.
Home.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Michelle. I haven't heard of your books before, but they're on my to-be-purchased list for certain now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.