Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Thursday Recipe - Grandma Hansen's Tempura Sauce

My grandfather loved to fish. I remember summers visiting their dairy farm in Oregon. We ended up at Bully Creek Reservoir at least once while we were there. The crappies were usually biting. They're small fish, not good for much besides two small fillets, but if you have an entire cooler of them, you can feed an army. My grandmother would batter them and deep fry them. We'd pour tempura sauce over them, drenching them in fresh garden goodness. Did I mention my grandmother considered her 1/4 acre garden small? Fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions - everything except the pineapple. She would have grown it if she could. We'd stuff ourselves on fresh raspberries and apricots for dessert. Good times.

Tempura Sauce

1 14.5 oz can tomatoes
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. onion
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. pineapple chunks with juice
1/3 c. sugar
1 T. soy sauce
dash cayenne pepper
1 T. chopped ginger or 1 t. ground ginger
3 T. corn starch

Mix everything together in a large pot. Simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Alternate: Mix everything in a 2 quart crockpot. Cook on high for 2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I loved visiting there as a child. There was so much to explore, so much food, and so much mud to play in. :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.