Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thursday Recipe - Transformation Dough, aka PlayDough

Continuing the Harry Potter theme (and apologies for missing posts the last couple of weeks), this is one of the best recipes I've ever discovered. It tastes horrible, but that isn't the point. If you have small children, they love to play with messy icky stuff like Playdough, the real stuff. With this recipe, you know exactly what's going into it, so if they do eat it, you know it's safe. It's also cheap and easy to make. Colored or not, the dough cleans up better than the commercial stuff.

This recipe came from a cookbook I inherited from my mom. It's been around since the 1970s and I can't remember the name or anything else. But I still have this recipe.

Transformation Dough (AKA play dough)

1 c. flour
1/4 c. salt
2 T. cream of tartar
1 c. water
1 t. food coloring, optional
1 T. oil

Measure everything into a 2 quart saucepan. Stir it together. It looks like a mess but trust me, it is supposed to at this point. Cook over medium heat until the mess consolidates into a ball and looks a bit rubbery. Dump it out and let it cool until you can handle it without burning your hands. Knead it until it's smooth and pliable.

Store in a ziploc baggie or air tight container. It will keep for months. When it gets crusty or grows fuzzy bits, toss it and make another batch or three.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.