Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, November 7, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Tapioca Fruit Salad

Yeah, it's Monday. But last week I posted two Monday posts so this week I'm posting two Thursday recipe posts.

Since it's November, the month of Thanksgiving, I thought I'd share some of my Thanksgiving recipes and traditions. Growing up, my mom used to do Thanksgiving dinner as a five or six course feast. It was served all day long. As each course was ready, we'd eat it. So breakfast was the fruit salad course, mid-morning was the veggie tray/pickle course, about one pm was the turkey and hot side dishes course, mid-afternoon was the salad and stuff we forgot about course, and then my favorite, the evening dessert course which was about twelve different kinds of pie. We then spent the rest of the weekend eating whatever leftovers appealed to us because my mom cooked enough for a large army. I did have eight siblings...

So today, I'm sharing a fun fruit salad.

Tapioca Fruit Salad

1 can pineapple tidbits in juice
1 can mandarin oranges in light syrup
2 fresh kiwi, peeled and sliced
2 c. cut up fresh fruit - apples, pears, whatever you like
1/4 c. pearl tapioca

Drain juice from pineapple and mandarin oranges into a measuring cup. Add enough water to make 2 c. total liquid. Pour into small saucepan.

Add tapioca to liquid in saucepan. Let soak for 15 minutes. Cook liquid and tapioca over medium high heat until mixture thickens and boils. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, add pineapple tidbits, orange slices, kiwi, and cut up fruit to a large salad bowl. Pour cooled tapioca over. Toss gently to mix.

Refrigerate for at least three hours before serving.

*If you want it more like ambrosia, add 1/2 c. shredded coconut and 1 c. miniature marshmallows before refrigerating.

*Tapioca pudding can be made with coconut milk or regular milk instead of fruit juice if you prefer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.