Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Thursday Recipe - Curry Powder, aka Garam Masala

This is easier than I thought it would be and it tastes so much better than the commercial curry powder. I've heard recipes where you are supposed to buy all the spices whole and toast them and grind them yourself and it sounds way too complicated for me. For this recipe, some of the spices are whole because that's how they come, but I don't worry about toasting them. I grind them up in a mini food processor then stir in the powdered spices. It still tastes great.

The best part is that you can change the proportions and spices to suit your personal taste. This is my new favorite spice mix. Use it just like you would curry powder.

Garam Masala/Curry Powder

1 T cumin, ground
2 t. cardamom, ground or whole
1 T. black pepper, ground
1 t. fennel seeds
1 t. mustard powder
1/2 t. cloves, whole
1 t. chili powder
2 T. turmeric
Dash allspice
1 t. paprika
1/4 t. nutmeg, ground
1/2 t. cinnamon, ground
1 t. garlic powder
2 t. ginger, ground


Grind fennel seeds and cloves. Add spices. Mix well. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.