Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Thursday Recipe - Ranch Dressing

I've mentioned my new diet several times, mostly to complain. But the diet is helping. I'm just getting desperate for some kind of salad dressing I can have. When vinegar, lemon juice, and mayonnaise are all on the banned list, dressings become very hard to create. I did come up with a version of ranch dressing that is low-acid and okay on my diet. It tastes quite good, but it doesn't keep for more than a week or two and it's loaded with dairy. I'm working on a non-dairy version but I'm running low on coconut milk.

IC Friendly Ranch Dressing

1/2 c. cream cheese
3/4 c. milk
1 t. cornstarch
1/2 t. garlic flakes or powder
1/2 t. dill weed
1/2 t. dried parsley
salt to taste

Put cream cheese, milk, and cornstarch in a blender. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan. Stir in seasonings. Cook over medium heat until dressing thickens and boils. Boil for one minute.  Remove from heat. Cool on counter, stirring every half hour or so to keep it smooth. Taste and add salt if needed. Place in covered container and refrigerate overnight before using.

Makes about 1 1/2 c. dressing. Shake well or stir before using. Use within a week.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't tried out but maybe tofu would work as a replacement for cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that should be tried it

      Delete
    2. Tofu should work for the cream cheese. Except I can't do soy, either. I've got plenty of milk substitutes, but the cheese component is proving a tricky one. Maybe I could try coconut yogurt.

      Delete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.