Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, April 23, 2012

Author Interview - Melisse Aires

Please give Melisse Aires a big welcome to the Far Edge of Normal. How can we find you?
Website: http://www.melisseaires.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/melisseaires
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/#Melisse_Aires

Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write?
My favorite genre is scifi romance, which includes steampunk. But I also like to mix in paranormal elements like shifters.

What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites?
The Starlander Frontier: Starlander’s Myth is a steampunk space western romance, the first of a trilogy.

Anything new coming up?

 Refugees On Urloon just released. It is a scifi romance set on a waterworld planet.

I'm intrigued by the idea. What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?

I’m a homebody and my family (three teen daughters and hubby) loves to cook, so we have a great Sunday dinner. I love to crochet and read a book a week, at least. I also have a little Maltese/Yorky cross dog, Baxter, who keeps me busy with walks and ball tossing. I have a garden, too.

Hubby and I try to see scifi movies, and we watch scifi/fantasy/paranormal type TV shows. In good weather we like to enjoy Wyoming’s mountains.

That sounds like enough to keep anyone busy, without the writing. What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to a music, and do you want to share your playlist?

Music is important to me. I write in my living room because I hate to feel closed in and separated, but I usually play New Age pipe/drum/harp type background music or movie scores. I also listen to old familiar music –Bon Jovi, The Boss, Tom Petty.

For hot scenes I like Chris Isaacs, and I listen to Mazzy Star for black moments.

"All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?

I do have cats! A calico, a long haired B&W and a 6 toed torty. But Baxter is my baby. See attached picture!

What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers?
 The Website Romance Divas(romancedivas.com) If you write scifi romance, the SFR Brigade is a great place to network. Living in small town Wyoming, my resources are all online.

Any advice you'd like to share about writing?
Don’t give up, keep working to improve—but have some gumption, too. Do not turn yourself inside out due to a critique but know it is just one person’s opinion. And submit—some of the most insightful info you will get will come from a rejection from a professional editor.

What writers inspired you to become an author?
Zenna Henderson, Julia Quinn, Elizabeth Peters, Anne McCaffery, Loretta Chase, Stephen King—many! I’m a bookworm.

Yay! Someone who has heard of Zenna Henderson. I love her work, and Elizabeth Peters is the queen of tongue-in-cheek romance. Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
April –I am celebrating the release of Refugees On Urloon with a drawing!

Thanks so much for stopping by, Melisse. It's been great getting to know you better.

5 comments:

  1. Great interview, Melisse. You named some of my favorite writers in the list that inspired you. You also come up with the best sci-fi titles for your books. Always makes me want to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview ladies! The book looks fantastic and yeah for McCaffrey and Bon Jovi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, Jaleta and Melisse! Thanks for the peek! I love many of those author inspirations, too! And wow--three teenage girls! How fun (and I imagine sometimes crazy!) a life that must be! Our oldest is about to hit the teen years, and I'm a little nervous ;)

    f dot chen at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interview, Jaleta--it was fun! I'm always happy when writers know Zenna Henderson, she was a big influence on me.

      Delete
  4. It was nice to meet you, Melisse. I found Zenna Hendersen in the library when I was a teenager and fell in love with her stories.

    Good luck with your stories, I've got at least one on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.