Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thursday Recipe - Accidental Brownies

I wanted to make brownies one day, so I started mixing away. Then I found out I was almost out of cocoa. No cocoa means no chocolately goodness. Not enough cocoa means pale brownies that just don't taste right. I dug through my cupboards looking for a solution. Inspiration hit when I found an almost empty can of gourmet hot chocolate. The flavor wasn't one my kids or I liked, I think it was Irish cream. Anyway, I dumped it into the brownie batter and continued baking.

The result? Extreme deliciousness. Accidental brownies were born. We've made these with other flavors of cocoa. My favorite so far is cherry chocolate, but feel free to experiment. These brownies have a cake-like texture.

Accidental Brownies

1/2 c. butter, melted
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. hot cocoa mix, dry
2 t. vanilla
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
4 eggs
2 c. flour (1 c. whole wheat, 1 c. white if desired)

Mix butter, sugar, cocoa, and cocoa mix. Stir in vanilla, baking powder, salt, and eggs. Beat until smooth and lighter in color. Stir in flour just until mixed. Spread in a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Add frosting when cool, if you want.

7 comments:

  1. Gasp! Out of chocolate! There is a horror story. LOL What a great idea. Will have to try next time I bake up a batch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not out of chocolate, just out of cocoa powder. I refuse to ever run out of chocolate. It's in my emergency storage. I have stashes all over the house, but don't let my kids find out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. Those sound REALLY good. We're going to be having a dreary, cold weekend -- perfect for baking. I may have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Marianne. Please check out the other recipes I've posted here. I do a lot of baking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, brownies. I submit that a good brownie can bring about world peace. :D We need to airdrop a bunch around the world. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are good ones to airdrop. They didn't last long at my house, especially after I spread coconut-pecan frosting on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like most happy accidents, this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.