Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thursday Recipe - Spicy Shrimp with Mango Rice Salad and Sugar Snap Peas

Just to change things up, I'm starting a new feature on my blog: Authors who Cook. I have lots of writing friends and most of them cook. I cook partly because I have a family to feed but also because I enjoy playing with ingredients and spices and new foods. How fun to find friends who also cook because they enjoy it.

My first guest chef is Michael Scott Miller. Yep, the author I interviewed on Monday. He shares a great recipe for entertaining. It's originally from Bon Appetit, June 2003. Tip of my hat to them for a delicious dish and to Mike for sharing it. I know what I'm doing when I find shrimp and mangoes on sale.

Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Rice and Mango Salad and Sesame Sugar Snap Peas
(4 servings, not the usual massive quantity my recipes make)

3 T. Oil
2 t. minced fresh ginger
1/4 t. dried crushed red pepper
16 uncooked jumbo shrimp, peeled & deveined
3 T. fresh lime juie
2 T. soy sauce
3 c. cooked short-grain brown rice
1 mango, peeled, pitted, chopped
4 green onions, thinly sliced
8 oz. sugar snap peas
1 t. oriental sesame oil
1 t. sesame seeds
4 10-12 inch skewers, metal recommended

Whisk 1 T oil, 1 t. ginger, and crushed red pepper in a bowl. Add shrimp. Toss to coat. Chill 2 hours.

Whisk 2 T oil, 1 t. ginger, lime juice and soy sauce in another bowl. Add rice, mango, and onions. Toss well. Cover and let stand at room temperature.

Boil sugar snap peas in salted water until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain and place in medium bowl. Toss with sesame oil and sesame seeds.

Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Thread 4 shrimp onto each skewer. Grill until just opaque in the center, about 2 minutes per side.

Mound rice & mango salad in center of a plate, surround with peas. Top with shrimp. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.