Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, March 7, 2011

Book Review - The Dragon War Relic by Berin Stephens

"A mysterious explosion, a gold ring, and the fate of the earth and the universe... For Jared Mills, summer has never been more exciting!"

If you want a deep, soul-searching, literary novel, you're looking in the wrong place. If you're looking for a fun read that will keep you entertained, this book definitely fits. High school student Jared Mills and his video-game-playing friend get sucked into galactic politics when Jared is given a ring by a mysterious man who dies in a strange explosion only a few minutes later. With lots of puns, tongue-in-cheek jokes, and action, this book kept me turning pages.

The target audience for this is most likely teenage boys, but anyone who enjoys that kind of silliness and action will enjoy the book. Berin has fun skewering fantasy stereotypes and science fiction cliches all while spinning a story of intrigue, betrayal, misunderstandings, politics, galactic travel, and video games. He even manages to squeeze in a very sweet touch of romance.

So, go check out the book. It comes with a thumbs up from me, my husband, and my teenage son.

For more information on Berin, check out his website.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if the market for teen male readers is unmet? It's good that this could appeal to them, as well as the wider audience. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of fantasy aimed at them but not too much science fiction anymore. I just know that finding books to appeal to my teen sons is difficult. It's a fun book.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.