Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday Recipe - Stuffed Zucchini

I'm noticing a trend with my recipes. Almost every one I post is a dessert. I love desserts, cookies especially. I also love fresh produce, picked from my backyard. But I discovered several years ago that I have a black thumb. I kill plants just by looking at them. This year, we have tomatoes, peppers, radishes, beans, eggplant, and popcorn. I think it's because I had nothing to do with planting them. My youngest daughter did. She can charm anything.

The one thing we can't get to grow in our yard is zucchini. My neighbors think I'm weird when I go begging for their extra zucchini. If you've ever grown it, you understand. Forget the zombie apocalypse; it's the zucchini apocalypse I'm worried about!

Anyway, here's one of my favorite ways to cook those really big zucchini you always find the day after you just picked the plants clean.

Stuffed Zucchini

1 large zucchini (at least 12 inches long)
2 T. real butter, melted
1 t. garlic salt
4 c. garlic croutons
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated

Split zucchini lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Discard the seeds. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the zucchini, cut side up, on the sheet. Brush zucchini halves with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes, until squash begins to soften.

Meanwhile, lightly crush croutons until they are coarse crumbs. Toss croutons and cheese together. Fill the centers of the zucchini, mounding filling onto the cut sides of the squash. Bake another 15 - 20 minutes until the squash is tender and cheese is melted.

Slice each half into 6 - 8 pieces to serve. The skin of such a large squash may be too tough to eat, but the rest is delicious.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm. I LOVE Zucchini! This recipe sounds delish. I think I might have to try it with that big ole zucchini that's sitting on my counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your lovely new kitchen? I saw your blog posts on it. Beautiful job.

    The recipe is easy and simple, which is what I love. You can also do this in a crockpot with smaller zucchini:

    Cube zucchini, peeling off skin if too tough. Toss everything together. Scoop loosely into a 2 - 3 quart crockpot, don't pack it tight. Cook on high about 2 hours, until squash is cooked and cheese is melted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, zucchini rocks. I tend to put it in everything. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would if I could grow it. It dies when I touch it, though.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.