Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Zucchini Patties

Look at this! I have zucchini from my yard! I know what you're thinking: Why is she celebrating that? Everyone has zucchini in their yard. No one wants to take any more off my hands.

I have killed zucchini every time I planted it for the last twenty years. Seriously. I plant it and it dies. I haven't been able to grow it at all. Until now. New house, new yard, new gardening zone—everything is growing here. Except my oregano which died this week but I think that has to do with it being in a bucket and getting baked in the late afternoon and not getting enough water.

Back to zucchini. I picked the first two yesterday. I only planted three seeds, but they are huge and beautiful and producing already. I can't wait to have more zucchini than I can deal with. That will take a lot of zucchini. My freezer is still mostly empty and I *love* zucchini bread and zucchini cake and stuffed zucchini and zucchini patties...

Here are links to zucchini recipes:
Stuffed zucchini
Sautéed zucchini
Zucchini cheese pie
Minestrone soup
Zucchini bread and butter pickles
Zucchini bread/muffins
Zucchini fudge cake

Today's recipe also features zucchini. It's a cross between potato pancakes and egg foo yong, except it features zucchini. I like to serve them like pancakes, except with salsas instead of syrup.

Zucchini Patties

4 c. grated zucchini (larger grate rather than finer, you want big shreds)
1/3 c. grated onion
1/3 c. grated carrot
1 c. flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. dried oregano
2 eggs
1/4 - 1/2 c. milk
oil

Toss vegetables together. Add flour and spices. Toss to coat. In separate bowl, beat eggs until smooth. Stir in 1/4 c. milk. Pour over zucchini. Stir to coat. You want a really thick mess. If it is dry, add milk 1 T. at a time. It needs to be wet enough to stick together, but not thin enough to drip.

Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Scoop out 1/3 - 1/2 c. of the zucchini mixture. Drop into the pan and gently pat to spread it out into a patty. It will stick, so use your mixing spoon or another spoon. Fry for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Gently flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes until browned well on the other side.

Serve hot with plenty of salsas and/or spaghetti sauce. Or just eat them plain, that's what I like.

*You can make this with gluten-free bisquick instead of flour and it works great! You can also substitute rice milk or almond milk or even water for the milk, just don't use the vanilla or chocolate flavor.

*You can add 1 c. of shredded sharp cheddar if you want a cheesy patty. Just toss it in with the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.