Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Apricot Jam

I was gifted a giant bowl of the cutest little apricots ever. My friend grew them on her tree. They are tiny but very tasty. We ate them like candy.

I took what was left and made apricot jam.

Rum Apricot Jam
*disclaimer - no actual rum is used, only rum flavoring. My kids love this on pancakes and waffles.

6 c. apricots, pitted and chopped fine
2 T. lemon juice
3 c. sugar
1/4 c. powdered pectin (I use the Ball brand canisters of pectin, but it can be optional. I just like my jam a little more firm.)
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. rum flavoring

Mix the apricots, lemon juice, and sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight. This helps draw out the juice. You can skip the step, but your jam will be chunkier.

Stir in the pectin. Cook the mixture in a large pot over high heat, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15-25 minutes, until jam thickens. Stir often! Remove from heat when it reaches the thickness you like. To test, drop a small bit onto a cold plate. Let it chill for a few seconds, then test the thickness. Remember, apricot jam sometimes takes up to a week to fully set so if it's close, go ahead and take it off the heat. And if it stays runny, use it as syrup instead.

Stir in nutmeg and rum flavoring. Pour into hot, clean canning jars. Process and seal according to your altitude. I process my pints for 12-15 minutes. Makes about 4 pints of jam.

Apricot Rose Jam
This is one I ran across online and couldn't wait to try. We have some very fragrant roses we planted so I have plenty of organic fresh rose petals to play with. Don't use roses that have been sprayed or treated with systemic chemicals!

4 c. apricots, pitted and chopped fine
2 c. sugar
1 T. lemon juice
2 T. pectin
1/4 c. rose petals (don't pack them tight, measure loosely)

Mix apricots, sugar, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Stir in pectin. Cook and stir over high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in rose petals. Cook and stir until mixture is at desired thickness. (See above recipe.)

Pour into hot, clean canning jars. Process and seal according to your altitude. Makes about 3 pints of jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.