Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, February 3, 2014

Thursday Recipe (On Monday!) - Hoecakes

I have wonderful Facebook friends that share delicious recipes. I can't remember who posted this recipe, partly because I have memory issues from trying to remember too much at a time and partly because Facebook is ADHD on steroids, but it was to go with soup and it sounded so tasty I just couldn't pass up the chance to try it out. My daughter, who's allergic to wheat, loved these so much she asked me to make them the next day, too. Easy and fast and tasty when you need a quick starchy side dish. They're good with jam or honey butter, too.

Hoecakes

1 c. cornmeal
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
3/4 c. water

Mix everything together in a mixing bowl. Stir until smooth.

Heat a tablespoon or so of oil in a frying pan over medium heat until it shimmers. Spoon about 1/4 c. of batter into the pan. LET IT COOK WITHOUT BOTHERING IT FOR SEVERAL MINUTES. I tried to flip it too soon since I'm impatient and it stuck. Horribly. So be patient. When you see the edges looking golden brown, THEN try to flip it. It might stick a little but it shouldn't be too bad if you've been patient. If it starts smoking, you've been too patient. Cook it for a minute or two on the other side. It should be golden brown and smelling like cornbread.

Serve warm with your favorite choice of toppings. This can go with gravy and roast, not just sweet stuff on top.

2 comments:

  1. It was probably Fen. She posted something about hoecakes on her LJ not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was her but I couldn't track down the post. Genny is loving these. She keeps requesting them. She made them herself yesterday. I'll have to thank Fen for posting it.

    Thanks, Soozcat!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.