Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday Recipe - Chiles Rellenos Quesadillas

Yep, I totally speak Spanish. Taco. Burrito. Enchilada. Salsa. Tomatillo. Even jicama and guacamole. Okay,  I can order Mexican-American food and know what I'm asking for.

I'm not sure I've ever had real chiles rellenos, but I like this version. Easy, simple, and you can add whatever heat level you want. It's a cross between quesadillas and jalapeño poppers. (On a side note, if you put the squiggle in jalapeños, blogger doesn't think it's misspelled.)

The biggest thing is to just have fun in the kitchen and don't be afraid to experiment.

Chiles Rellenos Quesadillas

corn tortillas
cream cheese
diced green chiles
shredded sharp cheddar or Mexican blend cheeses
sliced jalapeños
salsa
olives

Heat up a couple of tablespoons of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Meanwhile, spread some cream cheese on a corn tortilla, about a tablespoon is good. Sprinkle with green chiles. Add jalapeños if you want more kick. Add some shredded cheese. Top with a second tortilla. Transfer carefully to the frying pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side, until lightly golden and just starting to turn crispy. Garnish with salsa and olives if you want.

One tip - don't overfill the tortillas or the cheeses will leak into the pan and make a mess. Cream cheese tends to turn runny when hot. Yes, that is the voice of experience warning you.

Oh, and happy Valentine's Day. You can use the salsa to paint a heart on the quesadilla and pipe sour cream to make a lacy edge, if you're bored or you need something to photograph for Pinterest. I'd do it but my food pictures make it look horrid so here's a crocheted taco instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.