Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday Recipe - Kumquat Pork

I usually try to stay away from weird ingredients that are hard to find. Kumquats kind of fit that definition. They are only in the stores sometimes and only in some stores. But I found some and my kids asked to try them out so I bought a few. A couple of my kids tried them, but they can be bitter. They're like little oranges and you eat the whole thing, peel and all. We had some sliced on salads and that was tasty. But I had a dozen that needed to be used soon. And I had a pork roast in my fridge. So I made Kumquat Pork. It was delicious.

I went to recreate the recipe a few days later when I had another pork roast, but I didn't have any more kumquats. I did have some tangerines and a lime so I used them instead. Still that great citrus flavor, but not quite as tasty.

So if you have kumquats, use them. If you don't, substitute in a lime and an orange or tangerine.

Kumquat Pork

2-3 lb boneless pork roast
1 onion, thinly sliced
12 kumquats, quartered
1/2 c. dried cranberries
3 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. worcerstershire sauce
1 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper

Lightly grease a small covered roasting pan. Spread the onions in the bottom. Add the pork roast. Sprinkle the kumquats, cranberries, vinegar, worcerstershire sauce, garlic salt, and pepper over the top.

Roast at 400°F for 1-2 hours - until pork is done and tender, and all the other stuff around it is carmelized into a nice chutney type topping.

Slice the pork. Serve with the topping stuff over rice or potatoes.

Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.