Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, January 31, 2011

Book Review - Once Upon a Dark and Eerie by A. F. Stewart

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28423

If you're expecting a full story, fleshed out and finished with everything neatly wrapped up at the end, this isn't it. Once Upon a Dark and Eerie is a collection of snippets and teasers, short bits that hint at dark and twisted stories and characters. Some were haunting, others disturbing, a few laugh out loud funny. The book is divided into sections with an overall theme: Dark Musings, Past Echoes, Creatures & Fairy Tales, and Grim Poetry.

I haven't been a fan of this type of work before. I refused to read it for years. I think I missed out on a lot of great reading, if this book is any indication. My only complaint is that the story snippets left me wanting more, much more. I wanted to see where the characters ended up. The very short writings caught my imagination and teased me with possibilities.

I will definitely be reading more works by A. F. Stewart. For now, go to Smashwords and download at least the free sample. Try this book. You won't be sorry.

I give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars and a rating of PG for disturbing content.

2 comments:

  1. Is this like flash fiction? That stuff is snappy and usually pretty stellar, but I know what you mean about not getting enough out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sort of like flash fiction. Most of it is unfinished bits of a story, just enough to get you really interested in figuring out the rest of it. I thought I'd be unsatisfied by that, but it was more like an imagination jumping off point.

    There are some great flash stories based off fairy tales that are hilarious. The poetry at the end is pretty good, too, and I usually can't stand poetry.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.