Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Thursday Recipe - Japanese Inspired Quick Pickles

My hubby and I were in Seattle at a convention a few weeks ago. We went out for dinner at a Japanese restaurant. It was quite the experience. Four courses. Fancy little dishes. Fun atmosphere.

I was quite enamored with the little dish of pickles they brought us with the appetizer course. I liked them enough to try to figure out how to make my own version. These are close. They'll keep in the fridge for a few days, but don't try to keep them longer than that.

A note about vinegar - Not all vinegars are the same. Rice vinegar tends to be milder and sweeter than white vinegar. The seasoned version just has some added sugar and salt. To make your own, mix 1/3 c. rice vinegar with 1/2 t. sugar and 1/4 t. salt. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve.

Japanese Inspired Quick Pickles

1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1/3 c. seasoned rice vinegar
2 t. sesame seeds

Put cucumber slices in a bowl. Pour vinegar over top.

Heat a small frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add sesame seeds. Toast for 2-5 minutes, just until they start to brown.

Sprinkle hot sesame seeds over the cucumbers. Set aside for at least 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.