Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Thursday Recipe - Ruane Irish Soda Bread

I was at RadCon last weekend. I chose to participate in the teacher visits at the local schools. I love working with children. We had a blast brainstorming a story beginning. I walked them through my process and let them go to town dreaming up their own story. One class came up with a thriller set in Seattle. Another one had a talking turtle, unicorn, and the usual teen love story. The third class went a totally different direction with a Bigfoot story at an isolated gas station. It was fun to see them get so excited. It's like a light goes on and the creativity just explodes.

One of the teachers, Mr. Ruane, took the time to look me up online. He found my blog and gave me a recipe to thank me for my time. I sent him one of my stories for his classes to read and enjoy. So this is his recipe that he was gracious enough to allow me to share. He says it's his grandmother's secret recipe. And it's delicious.

Thanks to McLoughlin Middle School for letting me visit!

Ruane Irish Soda Bread

3 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. seedless raisins (more or less)
1 3/4 c. whole-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs, beaten
2 T. vegetable or olive oil

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir in raisins, adding more if you want them.

In another bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs, and oil.

Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients until mixture is moistened; no clumps of dry flour remain. Don't overmix it, though, or it gets tough.

"Grease" a 5x9 loaf pan with butter. Or use a 2-qt casserole dish.

Turn batter into pan. Make a cut down the middle to guide the rise. On the round dish, make a cross on the top.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake for about 1 hour, until done.

Remove from pan immediately. Allow to cool thoroughly before eating.

From Mr. Ruane: I serve it slathered with plenty of sweet butter. Toasts well, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.