Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, February 16, 2015

Book Review Time

No fiction this time. I've been buried in non-fiction research. Most of the books and articles are dry and hard to read but they have great ideas so it's worth the pain. But a few books have stood out as not only great idea sources but enjoyable reading. Here are two:

Quiet: The Power of Introverts, by Susan Cain

Curious: The Desire to Know and Why Your Future Depends on It, by Ian Leslie

Quiet was a revelation to me. I knew I was an introvert, but didn't really understand what that meant for me. My husband always said he was an introvert, but he has too many traits of an extrovert. Understanding who we are and why we function the way we do is crucial to building good relationships. I've really been struggling the past year with a lot of things, relationships particularly. I think I know why now. Read the book. It's an eye-opener.

Curious is for my research for my thesis. I'm dealing with trying to measure changes in curiosity for my project. It's more difficult than you'd think mostly because it is hard to measure something you struggle to even define. Curiosity is one of those weird things where everyone knows what it is, but no one can come up with a definition that everyone agrees on. It was a fun read and well worth the time.

Next up on my reading list: lots of dry dull boring papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.