Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Thursday Recipe - Onion Soup Mix Take 2

I ran across this recipe a few months back and of course I had to start tweaking it. I think I've finally got a version I really like. It's great sprinkled on meats before baking, adding to soups and sauces, and my kids' favorite use, making onion chip dip. If you've got some freeze-dried onions you don't know what to do with, try this recipe.

Onion Soup Mix, dip version

2/3 c. freeze-dried minced onions
2 T. dried parsley
2 t. turmeric
1 t. celery salt
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. ground mustard
1 t. sea salt
1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper

Put everything in a small food processor. Blend until most of the onions are really small. Store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1/2 c. of mix.

Onion Chip Dip

1 c. sour cream
2 - 4 T. onion soup mix, depending on how strong you like your dip

Stir together. Cover and refrigerate for about an hour to let the flavors blend.

Onion Cheese Ball

1 8 oz package cream cheese
1/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. grated sharp cheddar
3 T. onion soup mix
chopped green onions, chives, or slivered almonds

Mix cream cheese, sour cream, grated cheddar, and soup mix until well blended. (I've heard a food processor works really well, but since I only have a baby one I haven't tried it out.) Shape into a ball. Roll in chopped green onions, chives, or slivered almonds. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with crackers or veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.