Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Thursday Recipe - Almond Poppyseed Loaf Cake

This is from an old version of Betty Crocker. It wasn't originally poppyseed or almond, but it turned out so tasty, I wanted to make sure I could duplicate it next time I want poppyseed loaf cake. So, here you go. It's very similar to pound cake. I think next time I make it, I'll try baking it in a bundt pan. The loaves cooked faster than I expected and weren't quite as moist as I like. It was also crumbly, but it tasted delicious.


Almond Poppyseed Loaf Cake

2 c. flour (I used all white for this one)
1 c. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
3/4 c. milk
1/4 c. shortening
1/4 c. butter
2 eggs
1 t. rum flavoring
1 t. lemon extract
2 T. poppy seeds

Put everything except poppy seeds into mixing bowl. Beat on low speed until blended. Beat on high for three minutes. Stir in poppy seeds. Pour into two greased and floured regular-sized loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans about five minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool.

Or pour batter into a greased and floured bundt cake pan. Bake at 325°F for 50-70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan five minutes, then invert onto a serving plate.

Great with lemon glaze or cream cheese frosting.

Lemon Glaze

1 c. powdered sugar
2 T. lemon juice
2 T. melted butter
1/2 t. vanilla

Blend together until smooth. If too runny, stir in more powdered sugar. If too thick, add more lemon juice. It should be like a thick syrup. Drizzle over cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.