Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, February 18, 2013

Basket of Book Reviews

Here's what I've been reading the last few months. Enjoy!

Julie Czerneda's awesome books - Ties of Power, To Trade the Stars, (Books 2 and 3 of the Trade Pact Cycle); Reap the Wild Wind, Riders of the Storm, Rift in the Sky (Books 1, 2, and 3 of Stratification); Beholder's Eye, Changing Vision, Hidden in Sight (Books 1, 2, and 3 of the Shapeshifter series).

I'll just say, I love her books. Great stories and characters. If you've never read one of her books, you're missing out on a real treat.

All of these are 4 or 5 star books, PG for occasional violence, but no language.



Nathan Shumate's The Golden Age of Crap, 77 B-Movies from the Glory Days of VHS

I never thought I'd enjoy reading a whole book of movie reviews, especially for such horrible movies. But I did. Immensely. I laughed, sometimes so hard I cried. Shumate skewers the movies with a light-hearted touch that betrays his love of bad movies. He wants to enjoy these bizarre, low-budget, direct-to-VHS offerings. Sometimes he does and he doesn't make any apologies for liking the movies.


My favorite review is the one for Future Hunters. I was laughing so hard I had to stop reading, not once but several times. I almost died over the line: Midget Filipino cavepeople. I'm snickering just typing that.

This book is hilarious. Definitely worth reading even if you aren't a fan of B-movies.

5-stars, PG-13 for language and summaries of really bad plots.

Frances Pauli's Man on Fire

Frances Pauli revisits her universe of space mercenaries, the one she introduce in Roarke. That book was my introduction to Frances Pauli. I'm glad she's returned to the same universe in Man on Fire.

The story starts with Amanda being woken up early from stasis to meet her new commander, who is, of course, a really hot guy. This is romance, after all. He turns out to not be the guy she thought he was, which leads to some interesting conflict.

It's a short read. Don't expect a full novel. But it's still worth your time, especially if you enjoy sci-fi and romance mixed together.

4-stars, PG for romance

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.