Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Friday, May 13, 2011

Thursday Recipe - Chocolate Frogs

Today's recipe comes from a miserable failure of an activity. I thought since my kids were going to be home for two weeks over Christmas, I would set up a mini-Hogwarts school. They were big into Harry Potter at the time. I had all these great ideas for activities and cool things to do. The only parts that worked were making fancy wands out of pencils and cooking up the fun recipes I found.

These cookies are the big, soft chocolate cookies with powdered sugar. I usually call them Plate Tectonics Cookies, because they look like the big plates shifting around on the earth. It's a sneaky way to reinforce science concepts. Cookies lend themselves so well to teaching geology concepts. I should market an entire basic geology course mixed with a cookie baking course.

Chocolate Frogs were a hit with my kids. They still are.

Chocolate Frogs

2 c. sugar
2/3 c. oil
3/4 c. cocoa
4 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 c. flour
3/4 c. powdered sugar

Mix sugar, oil, and cocoa. Beat in eggs, vanilla, baking powder, and salt. Mix well. Stir in flour just until cookies are mixed. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 350°. Scoop dough into balls. Roll in powdered sugar and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes until set. Cool before eating.

3 comments:

  1. LOL - that was such a cool idea Jaleta! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us - I'm going to hop on over to the kitchen and try it out! (sorry - couldn't resist...)

    :)

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to stir up a batch, if I can find the energy today. Too many projects boiling on my stove...

    If you want more info on the Hogwarts mini-academy, I can post some of the rest of it that did work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should do a geology course with cookies :) It would go over really well out here in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.