Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Recipe - Spiked Lemonade and Road Trip News

So this is late because I've been in my car since 4am driving from Utah to Washington State for a con. Lots of gorgeous scenery and fun conversations with my hubby. We ate breakfast at Spencer ID, at an Opal Mine and Diner. Biscuits and Gravy. Mmmm. We also stopped in Phillipsburg MT at a Sapphire store. Not quite as weird as it sounds. There are lots of sapphire mines in the area. For a mere $25, you can buy a bag of gravel and look for your very own sapphires. But they aren't cut and polished and I have too many cans/boxes/buckets full of uncut, unpolished gemstones and rocks I've collected. I'm addicted to rockhounding. It's fun, but the rule at our house is, "When your pants start sliding off, you're through putting rocks in your pockets." I ended up with a bag of uncut, unpolished opal, arrowheads, a big honking trilobite, and a nice flourite crystal. They're rocks. I can't resist. It's the BS in Geology. Gets me every time I go into a rock shop.

Okay, enough travelogue. Time for a recipe. This one is great for those hot summer afternoons. And it's spiked with mint and tonic water.

Spiked Lemonade

1 packet unsweetened lemonade drink mix
1 c. sugar
1 can frozen lemonade concentrate
2 sprigs fresh mint
1 quart ice cubes
1 quart cold water
2 liters tonic water or club soda
1 c. fresh raspberries, optional

In gallon pitcher or large punch bowl, mix water, concentrate, sugar, and drink mix. Lightly crush mint sprigs and add to lemonade. Stir in ice. Add tonic water carefully, it foams. Stir gently to mix. Garnish with raspberries. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes for the mint to infuse. Serve cold. Makes about 1 gallon.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Angie. We made it to Spokane in one piece, so far, so good. Enjoy the lemonade!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.