Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Thursday Recipe - Ranch Chicken and Baked Onions

So this isn't quite a recipe. This is more of a plea for help. I never realized how many dishes had potatoes, tomatoes, and/or peppers in them. That includes chili powder and paprika. I was at an Indian restaurant with friends the other night and EVERYTHING on their menu had potatoes and/or tomatoes except the pakora. So I settled for eating pakora for dinner. Except it had peppers in the spice blend. Indian food is off my menu, unless I can figure out how to cook it without peppers.

Tonight, my kids are planning biscuits and gravy. No problem, except sausage has red pepper in it. I either get to make my own sausage with ground pork, or find something else for dinner.

Anyone have favorite recipes that are sans tomatoes, potatoes, and peppers? Please share them with me! Black peppercorns are fine, but not any of the other chilies or peppers. Eggplant is off the menu, too, but it's a lot easier to avoid.

I made Ranch Chicken last night that turned out pretty good. We wrapped it into tortillas and added baked onions, lettuce, and sour cream.

Ranch Chicken and Baked Onions

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (the thin-sliced frozen ones are great because you don't have to thaw them and they cook more evenly than the lumpy ones)
1 large red onion, sliced into thick rings
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. onion powder
1 t. salt
1 t. dried parsley
1 t. dried dill weed (not seeds!)
1/2 t. ground black pepper
1 c. GF bread crumbs, or dried bread crumbs of your choice, ground up croutons work well

Heat oven to 400°F.

Arrange chicken into a single layer in a 9x13 baking dish. Place onions in a covered casserole dish.

Mix garlic, onion, salt, parsley, dill, and black pepper. Sprinkle over the chicken. Sprinkle 2/3 c. of bread crumbs over the chicken. Sprinkle the other 1/3 c. on the onions. Put the lid on the onion casserole.

Bake the chicken uncovered and the onions covered for about 30-45 minutes, until the onion is very soft and the chicken is done.

This also works with tilapia or other fish fillets instead of chicken.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.