Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Thursday Recipe - Berbere Seasoning and Ethiopian Inspired Pork Stew

I was looking for something different for dinner the other day. So I did what I usually do. I started browsing ethnic recipe sites. That's where I came across a recipe for berbere seasoning (the original is here). It's an Ethiopian seasoning blend. I tried something similar years ago and remembered it was good so I decided to give it a go.

I made a few changes and threw together the stew as a watchagot stew, as in, "What do I have in the fridge and the pantry?" Feel free to mix it up however you like.

If you're looking for something different than the usual, give this one a try.

Berbere Seasoning Mix

4 t. chili powder
2 t. paprika
2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cardamom
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves

Mix everything together. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 4 T.

Ethiopian Inspired Pork Stew

1 T. oil
1 lb boneless pork, cut into stew meat size chunks (trim off the fat if you want)
2 T. berbere seasoning mix
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
2 c. diced potatoes
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. sweet potato, peeled and diced
1/2 c. diced onions
1/4 c. jicama, peeled and diced, OPTIONAL
2 t. salt

Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add pork. Cook and stir for a couple of minutes, just until it starts to brown. Sprinkle berbere seasoning mix over the meat, stir to coat. Cook for another minute, until the spices become very fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside. The pork is NOT COOKED at this point, but it will be by the end.

Meanwhile, put everything else in a large saucepan. Add enough water to barely cover the vegetables. Stir in the pork. Cook over medium low heat for 1-3 hours, until the vegetables are tender. The sweet potatoes should mostly disintegrate into the stew and help thicken it.

Add salt to taste. Makes about 8 servings of stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it nice.