Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, September 30, 2013

Author Interview - Christy Dorrity

Please welcome Christy Dorrity to the Far Edge of Normal!
Christy Dorrity lives in the mountains with her husband, five children, and a cocker spaniel. She grew up on a trout ranch in Star Valley, Wyoming, and is the author of The Geis series for young adults, and The Book Blogger’s Cookbooks. Christy is a champion Irish dancer and when she’s not reading or writing, she’s probably trying out a new recipe in the kitchen.

www.christydorrity.com
https://www.facebook.com/authorchristydorrity
@christydorrity


Tell us about your writing - What genre do you prefer to write? What books, stories, other publications that you've written are your personal favorites? Anything new coming up?
AWAKENING is my debut novel, and it is the first in a series of young adult fantasies based in Celtic mythology. My Book Blogger's Cookbooks are literary cookbooks available on Amazon. I have lots of other ideas floating around, and a few books that are written, that I plan to publish when the time is right, including an early reader series, and some picture books.

What about you as a person? What do you do to relax? Favorite movies or tv shows? Hobbies?
I love to travel, especially with my hubby. We also love to go to the movies and out to dinner. Irish dancing is what keeps me sane--it provides exercise, and a mental break from my job as a writer. I love to cook and I can always be found reading a book.

What gets your creative juices going? Do you write to a music, and do you want to share your playlist?
I listen to music when I write, it helps signal to  my brain that it's time to focus. I listen to Pandora radio stations, usually John Schmidt, Celtic Women, or epic movie soundtrack stations. I also love to write to my Irish dance music, or to the Disney Brave soundtrack.

"All writers must have cats, especially if they write fantasy or speculative fiction." Do you have a stand on this one? Any cute pictures of your kitty or other pet?
Hmm, I am not a cat lover, and I'm allergic to cats. But I do love my dog. His name is Nestle'. He is a cocker-spaniel.

Dogs count, too. What organizations do you recommend for those wanting to become writers? Any advice you'd like to share about writing?
I've belonged to the national organizations, and I've found most of them lacking in support, with little real value. Instead, I've found great support systems at conferences, and online. I am a part of several groups for Indie writers, and the community in which I live is outstanding in the support that they give to new writers. If I were to give a piece advice about writing, it would be to write it all out, regardless of how it sounds initially. You can go back and fix a crappy copy, but you can't change a blank page.

What writers inspired you to become an author?
When I was young I loved A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis, and I loved anything by Scott O'Dell. I was also very much inspired by Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery--the movie more than the books.

Any special appearances or events coming up that you want to mention?
I'll be doing a book signing at the library in Star Valley, Wyoming on October 17th or 18th, and at the American Fork library on December 7th with a great group of authors.

If you could travel to any time in history, when would you visit?
I would love to be a pioneer in the Old West. I am certain that I have romanticized that time period in my mind, but there must have been something satisfying about creating your own opportunities in an unexplored land. 

If you could have dinner with any of your characters, which ones would you choose? What food would you serve?
I would want to have dinner with Rourke and Aunt Avril. They are both such strong characters and so different from each other. I certainly would be nervous about having McKayla's mom, Maggie, over, because she uses magic when she cooks! What would I serve? Chicken Supreme--chicken wrapped in ham, with a sauce over rice.

If you could travel anywhere, on earth or off, where would you go?
Someday I'm going to travel to Ireland and Irish dance in a pub!

What color would you wear if you had only one choice?
Coral

Interesting color choice. Thanks for stopping by, Christy! For the rest of you, go check out her new book - Awakening.

Amazon: http://amzn.com/B00F996AGU
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/awakening-christy-dorrity/1116907467
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18074584-awakening


. . . because some Celtic stories won’t be contained in myth.

A little magic has always run in sixteen-year-old McKayla McCleery's family—at least that’s what she’s been told. McKayla’s eccentric Aunt Avril travels the world as a psychic for the FBI, and her mother can make amazing delicacies out of the most basic of ingredients. But McKayla doesn't think for a second that the magic is real—it’s just good storytelling. Besides, McKayla doesn’t need magic. She recently moved to beautiful Star Valley, Wyoming, and already she has a best friend, a solo in her upcoming ballet recital—and the gorgeous guy in her physics class keeps looking her way.

When an unexpected fascination with Irish dance leads McKayla to seek instruction from the mute, crippled janitor at her high school, she learns that her family is not the only one with unexplained abilities.

After Aunt Avril comes to Star Valley in pursuit of a supernatural killer, people begin disappearing, and the lives of those McKayla holds most dear are threatened. When the janitor reveals that an ancient curse, known as a geis, has awakened deadly powers that defy explanation, McKayla is forced to come to terms with what is real and what is fantasy.

A thrilling debut novel based in Celtic mythology, Awakening is a gripping young adult fantasy rife with magic, romance, and mystery.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping spread the word Jaleta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure to host other authors here. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.