Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Thursday Recipe Addendum - Peeling Tomatoes

I realized after I posted the chili sauce recipe that maybe not everyone knows how to quickly and easily peel tomatoes.

Get a really big pot and fill it 2/3 full of hot water. Bring to a boil.

Drop the tomatoes into the pot, don't crowd them. Let them cook for about a minute until the skins start to split, remove from the pot and drop into a sink full of cold water.

Using a sharp paring knife, cut the stem end off. The skin should just slip right off. If the tomatoes are not vine-ripe, they'll be a lot harder to peel.

If you have a pasta cooking insert, it works great to get lots of tomatoes in and out in a hurry.

2 comments:

  1. Jaleta, thanks for this. My discovery re onions: light a small candle and put it on the chopping board. The flame disperses most of the eye watering nasties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I'd read that earlier. I was chopping an onion that had been in the fridge for a while and was very strong. I could barely see by the time I finished with it. I'll try the candle trick next time.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.