Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Monday, November 7, 2011

Instead of writing...

This blog was supposed to be about writing - the struggles and craft and excitement. But how can I write about that when my writing has stalled? My second book is in the hands of the editor and publisher; on hold for almost a year now. My stories are coming out in anthologies, but I don't have a lot of new ones in the pipeline. I'm having health issues and family stress which both cut out writing time. And the last straw - all the home improvement projects that have gone from "someday" to "the next three months".

Saturday, I finally had all the materials to tackle a project that has been begging to be done since we moved in over 17 years ago. Our family room has a counter and cabinets but no countertop, just a slab of particle board. I found some beautiful glass tiles online and decided I could tackle it myself. Tiny tiles need no cutting, or so I decided. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

It was supposed to take three, maybe four, hours. Ten hours later, I had the tile down. A couple rows are a bit crooked. I'm hoping grout will hide some flaws. Yep, still needs grout and trim painted and installed. Another couple hours, I'm guessing.

But, I HAVE A COUNTERTOP IN THE FAMILY ROOM THAT IS NOT PARTICLE BOARD! And I love it. The colors are beautiful.

I've also learned that 3/4" tile should be left on the mosaic tile backing. Much easier to put in and keep straight. But then I couldn't have done the random color border, which ate up my entire afternoon.

Instead of writing, I've been learning how to install tile. As long as no cutting is involved, it is pretty easy. With the cool installer mats I found, it's also pretty clean and messless.

Pictures to come after I finish the project.

2 comments:

  1. Installing tile (especially in the random color pattern!) is a creative venture, too! Frustrating, sure. But at least you get to constantly look at the results! I wish you all the best with everything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a creative venture and one that needed done for a long time. It looks wonderful. I think November is not going to be novel writing month for me but home improvement project month. *eying two chairs that need reupholstered and fixed...*

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it nice.