Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thursday Recipe - German Chocolate Pie From Belle

Magnolia Belle is another great author I've met on BestsellerBound. She shares a fun recipe and the story behind it.

"My first book, "Black Wolf: Lakota Man" also meant my first editor.  She lived in Connecticut and I in Texas.  The book is modern day adventure/romance about four Lakota Sioux brothers who form a rock band in Austin.  In the book, there is a scene involving the youngest brother's birthday.  His favorite cake is German chocolate.  The editor, not knowing that cake, insisted that I send the character to Germany to learn of the recipe.  I had to explain that the cake was invented by an American with the last name of German. 

Then she wanted me to use an authentic Lakota dessert for a birthday meal.  Again, I had to explain that the Lakota, and all North American tribes, didn't have sugar and typical desserts until Europeans came over.  I didn't think pemmican (lard with smashed berries) would be too appealing.  I laugh about it now.  At the time, I just had to shake my head. 

While this recipe is German chocolate pie, not cake, it's a tasty treat, good enough for anyone wherever they're from!"

my website:  www.blackwolfbooks.com
my smashwords page:  https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/MagnoliaBelle
my amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/Magnolia-Belle/e/B001U4SZR0/ref=sr_tc_img_2_0?qid=1286083020&sr=1-2-ent


German Chocolate Pie

Mix in a separate bowl and set aside:
3/4 c. sugar, 1/2 c. flour, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 c milk

Mix in a separate bowl and set aside:
2 TBS butter, 1 c. coconut, 1/2 c. chopped pecans, 1 tsp vanilla

Beat 3 egg yolks well and set aside

Scald 1-1/2 c. milk.  Add 8 oz of German chocolate.  Stir until chocolate is melted.  Add first sugar mixture and stir until thickened.

Add beaten egg yolks and stir on low heat for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from heat and add coconut mixture, stirring well.

Cool and pour into a 9" baked pie shell.  Chill and top with sweetened whipped cream.

This is very rich, so small slices do quite well.


Thanks for stopping by, Belle. This sounds absolutely decadent! Mmmm....