Check out my fiction - http://www.jaletac.com
Check out my science fiction series - The Fall of the Altairan Empire

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Thursday Recipe - Bubble & Squeak and Spotted Dick

I'm not British, never even been close to the UK, but when I heard about this dish, I couldn't help figuring out how to cook it. My kids request this one. It's a fast and easy dinner if you add a fruit salad and bread. Spotted Dick is a raisin bread pudding. Nice dessert. Here, I'll give you all the recipes.

Bubble & Squeak

12 oz. link sausage or 12 oz. Kielbasa sausage, sliced
1/2 c. sliced onion
4 c. shredded cabbage
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper

Fry sausage until cooked through. Add onions, sauté until soft. Add cabbage, cover and cook until crisp-tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Serve nice and hot.

Winter Fruit Salad

1 can mandarin oranges
1 can chunk pineapple
2 kiwi fruit

Drain oranges and pineapple. Peel kiwi and dice. Toss all together.

Spotted Dick

6 slices soft bread
1/3 c. raisins
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 eggs
1 c. milk
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg

Tear bread into bite size pieces. Toss with raisins. Place in a greased 2 quart casserole. Beat sugar, eggs, milk, and spices until blended. Pour over bread. Bake at 350° for 35 - 45 minutes, until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let sit for 30 minutes before serving.